[TN-Bird] Re: Bombay Hook Little Egret

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:31:30 -0500

Mike,

Thanks for your reply.  I agree with your points below.  I saw one of
the Bombay Hook Little Egrets 4-5 years back.  If that guy didn't
have the nuptial plumes (actually it only had one when I saw it) I
don't think I could have called it, even though I went to a very
well-defined spot to see a bird that many others had already
identified.  I did look at the other field marks, and was able to
convince myself I saw them but had I not been looking.... no way.

Charlie

Charlie -
That bird took some twists and turns before all was done. Audrey Hoff and I
thought we were there too late to see the bird, but it was reported at one of
the pools and we went up and scoped it. I kept waiting for it to pick a foot
out of the water to show the golden slippers, because something about that gray
bill didn't look right, although there were 10-15 other scopes with people all
lined up and counting it. By now it had "lost" the other nuptial plume.
I finally looked at Audrey and whispered, "Sure looks like an immature Little
Blue to me."
She nodded and we quietly departed, not wanting to disparage so many others of
such a great bird for their lists.

James Brooks