[TN-Bird] Bluebirds and guinea fowl

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:10:06 -0400

I stayed at home Sunday in an attempt to see the two Eastern bluebird nestlings fledge from my nestbox. As anyone who has done this can attest, this is a lengthy, frustrating process as the baby birds slowly work up the courage to take the big leap of faith into the unknown. Makes you start wishing that one would give a little push from behind to its sibling.

At about 3 p.m. the two neighborhood guinea fowl decided to perform their bizarre courtship ritual in my yard. This consists of running as back and forth, back and forth, one behind the other, the length of my yard and part of my neighbor's, pausing every 10 or 15 minutes during which one (the male, presumably) attempts to mount the other while both engage in a short flurry of hopping and wing fluttering. A few seconds later, the chase is resumed, taking them within a couple feet of the rear of the nestbox.

Finally, at 4:00, one of the little bluebirds emerged from the entrance hole, clinging tenaciously to the front of the box for a few seconds before clumsily sliding and fluttering to the ground where it hopped around under the nestbox. I lost track of it while watching the second baby. After about 3 or 4 minutes, it too emerged but unlike its less agile brother or sister, flew to a nearby tree. I eventually re-located the first one under a bush beside the neighbor's house, just standing around. The guineas who were still at it (now more than an hour after they began) ran to within a few feet of the bush and began copulating, or trying to. They were immediately dive-bombed by two agitated bluebird parents. They didn't seem to notice and quickly resumed their running about. Where did they find the energy for all this cavorting on such a hot afternoon?

So you could say that I got to watch the beginning and the culmination of the avian reproductive cycle at the same time.

Carole Gobert
west Knox County, Tennessee

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)