[TN-Bird] Blue Moon Cruise at Hiwassee (Knoxville Chapter TOS)

  • From: "LeGrand family" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:25:14 -0600

About 15 Knoxville Chapter members were among the approximately 30
passengers on the Blue Moon cruise (http://www.bluemooncruises.org) at
Hiwassee on Saturday afternoon, Feb. 18. Thanks to Alice Woody for
organizing such a very delightful and birdy afternoon. I've taken the
liberty of entering a list in eBird. Our birds complement those reported by
Charles Murray. Most of the cranes were along the Tennessee River north of
Hiwassee up toward Armstrong Bend. [If others on the trip would like me to
share the eBird list with them for their personal editing, let me know
off-line. Also, I had not planned on submitting the list for the Great
Backyard Bird Count, so others should feel free to.]

Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge, Meigs, US-TN

Feb 18, 2012 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM

Protocol: Traveling

30.0 mile(s)

Comments:     On Blue Moon cruise (with Knoxville Chapter TOS) from Sale
Creek Marina upriver to near Hwy 58 bridge on Hiwassee River, back down and
then up Tennessee River to Armstrong Bend, then down Tennessee River to Sale
Creek. 60 to 55 degrees F, calm, overcast.

29 species (+1 other taxa)

Snow/Ross's Goose  1     Not confirmed as to species.

Canada Goose  30

Gadwall  35

American Black Duck  4

Mallard  600

Northern Pintail  2

Green-winged Teal  40

Redhead  1

Ring-necked Duck  1

Bufflehead  25

Hooded Merganser  10     Flock in flight

Pied-billed Grebe  12

Horned Grebe  18

Double-crested Cormorant  200

Great Blue Heron  60

Black Vulture  1

Turkey Vulture  8

Osprey  1     Well seen by all on piling with nest

Bald Eagle  15     One adult at nest near Hwy 58 bridge.

American Coot  70

Sandhill Crane  2500

Whooping Crane  2     One primarily orange; the other had some orange
feathers

Killdeer  30

Ring-billed Gull  400

Rock Pigeon  40