[tn-bird] Blount County - mostly

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:38:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

Did some birding in Blount County, plus bits of Loudon and Monroe
today.  Started on the Foothills Parkway about 9:30 (migration
birding is great, in that I can be lazy!) then followed TVA?s
impoundments of the Little Tennessee River, to Kyker Bottoms and
finally Fort Loudon Dam.  Did well for migrants, and it could have be
great, if Foothills Parkway not been pretty socked in by fog.  I was
surprised by what I did have up there.

Foothills Parkway:

Broad-winged Hawks, 15-20, including 2 dark morphs.
Red-tailed Hawk
Turkey Vulture
Mourning Dove
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Chimney Swift - at least 100
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-pewee at least 2 were singing
Tree Swallow  4
American Crow
Blue Jay (saw MANY all day long, including several hundred at Kyker)
Carolina Chickadee
Eastern Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Eastern Bluebird
Gray-cheeked Thrush ? EVERYWHERE!  I saw 5 in one Pokeberry bush.
I?ve never seen this many before.  Alas, I could not pick out any
Swainson?s (I MUST have missed at least one?) or Bicknell?s.
Wood Thrush  Just one.
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Philadelphia Vireo ? in with a flock of warblers.  I think my first
in E. Tennessee
White-eyed Vireo
(Notice which Vireo is missing?  Wonder what Chris Sloan thinks of
that?)
American Redstart ? one was still in black-and-red garb
Blackburnian Warbler
Cerulean Warbler ? gotta check my database, but maybe my first on in
TN?!?
Chestnut-sided Warbler ? many.  2nd most common warbler today after?
Magnolia Warbler ? had at least 40 today.  WAY cool
Pine Warbler ? just one, in the burned area, interestingly
Tennessee Warbler ? 15 or so
Both Tanagers.  One Scarlett was still red and black
Northern Cardinal
Eastern Towhee
American Goldfinch

At Tellico Reservoir I added:
Pied-billed Grebe ? 17 in a flock near Tallassee boat launch
Double-crested Cormorant  one adult
Great Egret
Great Blue Heron
Red-shouldered Hawk
Osprey
Rock Dove
A great Chicken sandwich and fries from the ?home Restaurant?
Baltimore Oriole ? hatch year male

At Kyker I added:
Wood Duck
Red-tailed Hawk
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-headed Woodpecker.  My first for Blount County.  I guess David
and Audrey didn?t make it up after all!
Eastern Kingbird ? one lonely bird hunting a lot
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird ? some of them looked quite young
Several more thrashers
Palm Warbler ? many, in the big field that is usually flooded in
fall, between the observation pavilion and the barn.  Mostly western.
 2-3 yellow
Indigo Bunting ? every plumage you could imagine, except all-blue
adult male
Field Sparrow ? 5-6, each in very heavy molt
Song Sparrow

At Fort Loudon Dam and Lenoir City Park I added:

Black-crowned Night Heron
Canada Goose
Mallard.  Well, a couple of them MIGHT be real ducks?
Black Vulture
American Coot (do they breed here?)
Northern Flicker
Belted Kingfisher
Eastern Phoebe
House Finch

Had one unknown, too.  Flycatcher, about empid size.  Very brown.  2
prominent wingbars; complete but thin eyering.  Under mandible was
all yellow.  Couldn?t tell if tail was notched. Head didn?t seem
peaked.  Silent, of course.  No color, streaks, band, dinginess or
anything else on belly or breast.  Pumped tail a lot ? quickly, like
a Palm Warbler, not like the nearby, bigger Phoebe.  Back color
seemed not to vary from nape to rump.  I watched it through a scope
for several minutes, during which it was never on an exposed,
relative high point.  Just 6-7 feet off ground in a thick stand of
15-20 foot tall bushes and trees.  Any ideas?

Good day!

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Do something. If it works, do it again. If it does not work, do something
else. But above all else: Do Something." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)