[TN-Bird] Blount Co Black-necked stilt

  • From: Birdglass44@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:02:05 EDT

Jean Alexander and I obseerved the bird happily feeding about 7:30am before
the rain started.  We also saw 4 Green-winged teal, mallards and GB Heron at
the pond.  Walking down the road to the pond we heard a screech owl and at
least
2 Yellow-billed cuckoos calling in response to my screech owl call.  On the
larger pond at the road intersection were a number of drake Woodducks.
I light rain at Louisville Park we did not find the Brown-headed nuthatches
but had a good movement of warblers getting Pine, Yellow-rumped,
Orange-crowned, Palm, and Cape May.

After the rain, we went to Kyker Bottoms and got 8 species of
sparrows/Towhees (Song, Chipping, Swamp, Lincoln, White-throated and Field,
Dark-eyed junco
and E. Towhee), Indigo bunting, Kestrel, Sharp-shinned hawk that swooped into
the brush after a sparrow, Pileated, Downy and Red-bellied Woodpecker,
Golden-crowned kinglet, Magnolia warbler, C. Yellowthroat, and Ovenbird.

For the morning we had 55 total species WITHOUT chickadees, Titmouse,
Red-tailed or Red-shouldered hawks or any vultures.

Warren Bielenberg
Maryville, TN