[tn-bird] Black-throated Green Surprise

  • From: "Anna Varney" <arvarney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:11:18 -0500

My yard in SE Lewis County

Yesterday, while scanning the trees in my front yard for any action-there
hasn't been much lately-I caught sight of a very adult male Black-throated
Green Warbler at 5:15 p.m.

I also had my first Dark-eyed Junco of the season at this location this past
Sunday.

Monday, I watched as a male Downy Woodpecker carved out its winter roosting
place.  It worked nonstop for hours on end.  Tap, tap, tap-spit out the
sawdust, tap, tap, tap, check for size, tap, tap, tap, etc.

Last winter, I noticed that Carolina Wrens had taken a liking to roosting in
ventilation holes under the eaves of my house (log construction, some things
are "different" from stick built homes).  There would be two wrens roosting 6"
from each other, each in its own hole.  These ventilation holes are about 2
1/2" diameter in a slab of wood with a screen backing to keep critters out of
the attic.  Since we've had cooler weather I have seen them checking the holes
out with great interest...

Anna Varney
Summertown, TN