[TN-Bird] Black-necked Stilts, Henry County, Britton Ford TN NWR

  • From: Shawna Ellis <yodergoat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:58:10 -0500

Britton Ford area of TN National Wildlife Refuge
Henry County
April 26

We drove through Britton Ford this afternoon in the hopes that bad
weather would equal good birds. This was rewarded when we found three
Black-necked Stilts, very unusual for this area. This is the first
time we've seen these anywhere close to home. My husband had been
having mild Avocet aspirations, but this was close enough.

They were in a partially flooded field near the exit of the refuge (if
one comes through the main entrance and turns left). This is the last
field on the right, just before coming to the left hand turn to leave
the refuge and the road to what I think is called the Swayne Point
boat ramp.

If anyone needs more info on where we saw them, I can attempt to go
into more detail. I'm never good at giving directions in such an
unmarked area.

Shawna Ellis
Paris, Henry County