[tn-bird] Re: Black Terns

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:25:42 EDT

In a message dated 6/18/02 1:31:21 PM Central Daylight Time,
TigerWrblr@xxxxxxx writes:

> These were the first I had seen in TN this
> year, and the first I had ever seen in TN in
> June.

Chris Sloan and Jay Desgrosellier mention to me that they had a few on the
back side of Mud Lake in Lake Co. this past Saturday. This is one bird that
is hard to tell when it is coming or going. Here long the Mississippi River I
have recorded Black Terns traveling north as late as June 17 but I've had
adults with young traveling south as early as June 22 at two locations the
same day. I've recorded numbers in the hundreds along the Mississippi/Alabama
coast as early as July 1; are these birds that just did not make the trip or
are a lot of birds coming back that early when we are not looking? The big
movement south for these birds starts in mid July and continues until late
September. I've even had one bird on the Texas coast over the Christmas
Holidays many years back.

Chris and Jay also had a healthy group of White-rumped, a single Semipalmated
Sandpiper and a few Least at the pits in Memphis Saturday. These birds will
surely pass the first returning shorebirds as they will appear over the
coming weekend and increase in numbers each successive day thereafter. I'm a
waitin'.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA