[TN-Bird] Birds of Frozen Head State Park & new arrivals at home

  • From: "Roy Turrentine" <roymel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:42:40 -0500

New arrivals in Bedford CO TN (Normandy) after a great weekend birding/ flower
looking in east TN- Summer Tanager & Chuck-will's widows! White-throated
Sparrows are still here...
April 16 (night) thru afternoon of April 18:
Birding at Frozen Head State Park (Morgan CO TN) was exceptional...If
interested, please note the list below. If a bird has an asterisk, this
indicates wonderful view(s) of it! Flowers were beautiful, also!  Notes
concerning birds are at the end & may be of interest...

Amer. Goldfinch*
American Redstart*
Black & White Warbler*
Black-throated Green Warbler*
Blue Jay
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Ca. Wren
Cerulean Warbler*
Chickadee
Crow*
Eastern Bluebird*
Eastern Phoebe*
Eastern Towhee
Hairy Woodpecker
Hermit Thrush*
Hooded Warbler*
Louisiana Waterthrush*
No. Cardinal*
Ovenbird*
Philadelphia Vireo*
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-eyed Vireo*
Red-tailed Hawk
Ruby-crowned Kinglet*
Scarlet Tanager*
Solitary/ Blue-headed Vireo*
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Wood Thrush*
Worm-eating Warbler*
Yellow-throated Vireo*
Yellow-throated Warbler

Notes:
-Cerulean Warblers were in mass at certain spots along the trail
-Only males of warblers that are sexually dimorphic were seen...never noted any
of the females
-2 Black-throated blue males spent 10-15 minutes chasing each other in an
"oblong circle" among the upper tree story- good view under their wings, too
-Hooded warblers seemed more numerous- perhaps the downed trees from a storm
last year encouraged this!
-yellowthroated warbler was not numerous- just a few
-Black-throated green warblers were the most plentiful; with ovenbirds a very
close second...
-American Redstarts  & Hoodeds were often together
in the brush
-Towhee was heard only the second day (Sunday) on the trail
-Scarlet Tanager was rather silent and only a gentle chuh- weer yesterday as we
watched it...heard its song only once....today, he was much more vocal
-Wood thrush tended to sing only in the wee hours of the early morning....still
without much light & it'd sing away...light came...it'd be quiet...
-Wanted the wren to be the Kentucky Warbler, but alas...never was! Glad to have
the little wren, too!
-Black & white warblers in the past have been more cooperative to view- I
reluctantly admit I had given up...kept hearing them...finally had several good
views!
-Ovenbird did not sing for us until afternoon yesterday...saw & heard it
today...more numerous today
-Neither were we awakened by owls nor did we ever hear them nearby at
night...(we camped)

-Other Birds from the trip on the way there & back include:
Eastern Kingbird   Song Sparrow  E. Meadowlark  Red-winged Blackbird   Rock
Dove   Mourning Dove    Starling    Killdeer   Mockingbird  Turkey Vulture
Osprey   Kestrel   Barn Swallows  Cliff Swallows White-throated Sparrows
Chipping Sparrow Grackles   House Sparrow
   Chimney Swifts Canada Goose

-Cooler Weather yesterday (most of the day) allowed birds to be non-stop while
hiking in the woods...today, there was the usual lull because of the heat

-Possible Raven (which I have had here before...) but it only called once and
was real distant

-Usually we are lucky to see red-eyed at Frozen Head and a few others...we'll
hear several (but not this many) & never see them. This time, the condidtions
were optimum for us...weather, few leaves in most spots...We usually are here
for the flowers because we never have hit this area when it was like this- BIRD
FILLED WOODLAND HEAVEN!
--Trails taken at Frozen Head were South Old Mac, some of North Old Mac,
Panther Branch, Intrepretive Loop, Spicewood Branch, & Judge Branch

May you have a great bird-filled week! I had my fill for a on looks for a
lifetime (but I won't stop now...!)
Melissa Turrentine
Bedford CO TN Normandy TN
Report on Frozen Head State Park- near Wartburg TN