[TN-Bird] Birds at the Reelfoot Lake Spillway.

  • From: Dustin Crowell <dusscrow@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 08:57:26 -0500

While on a short boat ride yesterday, I stopped at the new spillway to see
it lake-side. There were a couple hundred barn swallows (possibly tree and
rough-winged too) swarming the new bridge. Today on my drive to work, I
crossed the old spillway at the Obion-Lake county line to find about 50
great egrets dotting the trees down the old channel and another 25 or 30
sitting on the bridge railing!
In addition to the swallows yesterday, I drove over to the Grassy Island
unit of the Reelfoot NWR to see water levels and spotted a drenched
yellow-crowned night heron very close to the road and very cooperative.
Friends of mine coming off the refuge said they spotted 2 others up the
road.

Dustin Crowell
Obion County