[TN-Bird] Birding for Birchwood Warblers

  • From: Charles Murray <dro1945@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:25:13 -0400

Maybe I’m going about this wrong. On a typical fall birding morning,
I may walk around my property in Birchwood (Hamilton County) for a couple of
hours searching for warblers and
other species. During fall migration, such a walk usually produces one to four
warbler species, and occasionally a few more. Sitting in my
house yesterday afternoon and looking out a back window, in about 15 minutes I
saw an ovenbird
walking in the yard about 10 – 15 feet away. Then I noticed a Tennessee warbler
and a magnolia warbler foraging for insects in a beauty bush about 15 feet
away. Looking out a different window this rainy morning, I saw two warblers on a
hanging basket. My best guess is that they were immature pine warblers because
of a faint eye line, white wing bars, but no evident streaking on the sides or
breast.
Charles MurrayBirchwood, TN