[TN-Bird] Birding At The Honors Golf Course

  • From: "David Stone" <rockyturf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 12:09:53 -0400

    This post is late but Saturday afternoon May 7 from 3:00 until 8:15 PM,
twenty three members and guest of the Chattanooga Chapter of the Tennessee
Ornithological Society birded The Honors Golf Course in Ooltewah. The Honors
Course has a good mix of short grass in the playing areas with tall grass,
wildflowers, bushy areas, woods and water between holes. A total of 59 species
were seen or heard.
Bird species included:

Canada Goose
Mallard
Great Blue Herron
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Rock Dove
Morning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Purple Martin
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wren (2 building a nest in a Bluebird box)
Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Northern Mocking Bird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing (23)
Cape May Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Palm Warbler
American Redstart
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat
Sumner Tanager
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-header Cowbird
Orchard Oriole
House Finch
American Gold Finch

Misses (birds I have seen on the course the past week but missed Saturday)
included : Wild Turkey, Cooper's Hawk, Bob White Quail,

    No Eastern Meadow Larks have been seen on the course the past two years. In
years past there were always a few. Also the Bob White Quail have gone from
several to only occasionally seeing a couple. The Ooltewah area has developed a
lot recently and I am sure that is partially responsible but we have almost 600
acres protected. I wonder if the decline could be due to the Imported Red
Fireants becoming established here. I think I remember reading a few months ago
about them possibly killing the young chicks of ground nesting birds.

Up Date : Today May 10 we saw a Red-breasted Nuthatch
                eating beef suet on the course. I was surprised any were still
here this late at an elevation of 800 feet.

David Stone
Ooltewah
Hamilton County