[TN-Bird] Bird Walks in Knoxville

  • From: Susie Stout <susiestout@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 11:27:09 -0500

Knoxville area birders,
I have been asked to do birdwalks at Lotts Elementary School (on
Westland Drive  in West Knoxville near Pellissippi Parkway) during the
weeks of 4/21 and 4/28. Are any of you birders out there interested in
passing along your birding skills to a bunch of 2nd thru 5th graders?
Last time I did this, we took out 400 kids, 20 at a time, for a 30
minute walk. Many times we were able to see 20+ species within that
time period. Our entire list is up around 50 species I think. I usually
start the walks at 8:00 and finish by 10 or 10:30 each day. If you have
the time, it is rewarding. The kids absolutely love it and they learn a
lot... for the most part, they are well-behaved as well. (Teachers
accompany the kids). If you'd like to help out, just let me know what
day(s) and what hour(s) you'd like. I will send more info to you after
you let me know you are interested. If you'd prefer not to "walk" we
have a great place to set up a scope if you'd like to man that station.

Interested? You can respond directly to me at

susiestout@xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks in advance to anyone with a few hours for some interested kids.

Susie Stout
Knoxville, TN