[TN-Bird] Birchwood Area Raptors, Warblers, and Woodpeckers

  • From: Charles Murray <dro1945@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 16:11:38 -0400

There was a large increase in the number of species and
individual birds around my home in Birchwood (Hamilton County) this morning,
and I added a few more good finds in Meigs County at the Hiwassee Wildlife
Refuge and the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park. In early afternoon, a Northern
harrier was seen flying over a large corn field north of Tasso Lane in
Cleveland (Bradley County).

Beginning a little after 8 AM, I saw many warblers at home –
black-and-white, Tennessee, American redstart, magnolia, and chestnut- sided. I
tried to talk myself into one or more bay-breasted warblers (a potential life
bird), but I couldn’t get a good enough view to rule out chestnut-sided
warblers.

At the HWR viewing area, at least 25 kettling broad-winged
hawks were noted, along with several black and turkey vultures. As I drove
toward the CRMP from the HWR, I saw an adult bald eagle soaring in the
direction of the Tennessee River. A few minutes later at the CRMP overlook, a
few other species were observed. An adult bald eagle was seen perching at the
south end of Hiwassee Island. I don’t know if this was the same bird seen
soaring earlier. Several pied-billed grebes were feeding near Hiwassee Island. A
red-headed woodpecker was observed on the dead tree at the overlook. Earlier at
home, I had located 4 other woodpecker species: red-bellied, downy, northern
flicker, and pileated.
Charles MurrayBirchwood, TN