[TN-Bird] Big Bald Banding kickoff

  • From: "Rad Mayfield" <rad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tn-Bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 06:12:14 -0400

We had a great weekend at the Big Bald Banding Station in Unicoi County.  We
captured and banded 12 species of warblers:

Hooded

Black and White

Golden Wing
Tennessee

Black throated Blue (biggest numbers, esp. females)

Black throated Green

Cape May

Western Palm

Bay-breasted

Magnolia

Blackburnian

Nashville (4)

Also, we had the following:

Swainson?s Thrush

Veery

Catbird (juvenile still with down and baby ?lips?)

Juncos

Scarlet Tanager

Red-eyed vireo

Blue-headed vireo

I am doing this from memory and I believe that is it.  If any of you would
like to visit, come to Wolf Laurel and we are on the ridge to the NE of Big
Bald just up the Appalachian Trail about ¼ mile.  Take (future) I-26 south
through Johnson City into NC and the Wolf Laurel exit is marked.  Just
follow the signs, tell the gate guard you are there to see the bird banding
and he can tell you how to get to the parking area for the bald.  The hawk
migration has apparently already begun as we had several broad wings and
coops, and a locally hunting harrier.  Caught a quick glimpse of a hunting
falcon that I believe was a merlin, also.  Mark Hopey and Kathy Gunther will
be running their hawk watch and banding station in conjunction with the
passerine station so it promises to be a good trip for you.  We could use
some volunteers next weekend that have net experience with removing birds.
Peak for passerines will be in the next two weeks and for raptors in late
September.  Email any questions you might have.

Rad

G. Rad Mayfield, III

East Rutherford High School

Forest City, NC