[TN-Bird] Ben Coffey-Gentleman, scientist, bird bander

  • From: RubyThroat@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:39:07 EST

Jeff Wilson wrote:

Bob's comments and information are the heart of what makes TN-Birds so
great. Concise and exact information from a true expert. Info is most
appreciated
from those that take the time to really look into just what and  why these
birds do what they do.

I don't remember but has this bird been banded? If so great, if not  why not?
It would be a shame if this bird left without being banded so that  if
re-encountered he would further our understanding of what these  birds are
doing.
Ben Coffey banded thousands of Chimney Swifts for years and  then his were
among
the first bands recovered from a native's necklace in South  America and the
mystery of the disappearing swifts was solved. This bird might  be the first
relocated on its home territory or recaptured on its way to or from  its
wintering location next year just as others have been found in route. Now  that
would truly make his visit a remarkable one.

Bob thanks again for the interesting insights to these wonderful  creatures.
Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson

Jeff and  TnBirders
The great  work done by Mr. Ben resulted in some stunning discoveries.  His
donation  of time and money to the study of birds is legendary.  His writings
and  discoveries fill the journals of ornithology.  For several years, he and
Mrs. Coffee worked closely with Alabama's own Dr. Tom Imhof (my mentor as a
bird  bander).  This team of super stars banded tens of thousands of Chimney
Swifts in an effort to discover their wintering homes.  Their  dedication
remains my strongest inspiration for our own work with  hummingbirds.

My public  thanks to Curtis and Virginia for their reports on their special
Rufous.

Go birding guys, life is too short to spend all your time  working.

Bob  Sargent
Trussville,  Alabama