[TN-Bird] Bedford Co- Bedford Lake/ Other Tidbits

  • From: "Roy Turrentine" <roymel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:57:36 -0600

SE Bedford County TN- Sunny & pleasant (~55 degrees)
TWRA Lake: Bedford  January 12
While on a quick run by Bedford Lake Monday afternoon ~ 4:00 p.m., we were
greeted by some wonderful discoveries and finds. Listed below is what we found;
if bird is designated with an * , it means we heard only.

Great Blue Heron
Bufflehead (approx 50- 60, both male & female)
American Black Duck (2)- textbook view
Ruddy Ducks (~10, both male & female)
Gadwalls (~8)
Mallard (2)
Hooded Merganser (1)
Ring-necked Duck (6; both male & female)
Green-winged Teal (~16, both male & female)- beautiful
      view with sun hitting these just perfectly!
Northern Bobwhite* (unusual for a January day!)
Killdeer (~ 12)
Common Snipe (~6- this is a first for us to see this species
     at this lake)
Belted Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker*
Carolina Chickadee*
White-breasted Nuthatch*
Carolina Wren*
American Robin (~2000+)
Hermit Thrush (1)- most likely...very brief glimpse but
              have seen them in the same spot before
American Kestrel (1 male)- dropped his tiny vole-like rodent
              as we went by (accidentally startled him)
Northern Cardinal
Pileated Woodpecker*

Also of interest- pond near Cascade High School (NE Bedford Co)on HWY 269 has
been increasing in hooded merganser numbers steadily...~25 this afternoon (Jan
13) but this may be short-lived...the Canada Geese also had discovered this
same pond! This pond often has the belted kingfisher, GrBlHeron, and
pied-billed grebes, too.

Sunday Jan 11 On Hwy 269 toward Cascade School (Bedford Co, between Dement
Bridge and Wartrace, I had two hawks circling, almost looked as if the
courtship ritual-type circling...also had a turkey vulture casting shadows over
the road, along with the two hawks.

Melissa Turrentine
Bedford County, TN
John Sellars Chapter TOS (Lebanon TN)