[TN-Bird] Re: Barred Owl - Road Kill

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:21:23 +0000

From Knox Martin in Memphis.  This is a very good point.  Thanks Knox!

While I agree with everything that has been said about possession of birds and
feathers, ect., I would make one point. If you find a dead raptor you might
check it for a USFWS leg band. Finding and reporting a recovered band is very
helpful to rehabbers like myself for follow up information on released
rehabilitated birds. In the past 25 years I have banded some 3000 birds of
prey, and while I have received feedback on only a small percentage of released
birds, the information I have received has been invaluable.

Knox Martin, Director
Mid-South Raptor Center, Memphis

State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency