[TN-Bird] Bald Eagles on the Buffalo River, Perry County

  • From: "Anna Varney" <livingglass@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "tnbird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 13:34:44 -0600

Buffalo River
Perry County
Nov 5, 2005
While enjoying a weekend of camping, fabulous temps, stunning fall colors and
great fishing along the banks of the Buffalo River in Perry County, we were
lucky enough to have been visited by an adult pair of Bald Eagles appx 7 a.m.
on Sat. Nov 5.  Both flew in together and stayed appx 1/2 hour in the tallest
tree high up on the cliffs above the river.  One bird left, flying downriver,
the other stayed for a bit longer then was gone also flying downriver.
Currently, the Buffalo is only about 30' accross at this point and the depths
vary from ankle deep rapids to 6 foot pockets.  We've heard that the water
quality is relatively good, and it appears to be teaming with aquatic life.
Lots of fish including a 20 1/2" 4+ pound smallmouth bass!

Other notables seen this day include a River Otter and two Hellbenders
(salamanders) within 40 feet of each other found while looking for crawdads
under the rocks.

We've been fishing the Buffalo River for about a year now and this is the first
time that we have seen eagles anywhere on the river.  The sighting was on
private property and lacking a GPS unit the appx location is:
35 degrees 34' North
87 degrees 49' West

Anna Varney
Linden, TN