[tn-bird] Bald Eagle and Great Horned Owl

  • From: "Everson, Tracey" <TraceyE@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Birds (E-mail)" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 07:05:54 -0500

Saturday (3/9) Charlie Muise and I hiked in Prentice Cooper State Forest.
Amidst the rain we were treated with a great view of a Bald Eagle as it
squeaked (such a pathetic sounding distress call for so large a bird) at us
to distract us from the nest.  The nest was amazingly close to the trail.
Although we couldn't see it from our angle, we presumed that the female was
sitting on the nest either on eggs or young.

This morning when I was heading out to work I heard Great Horned Owls
calling.  This is the first I've heard them since this fall (late November,
early December I'm guessing).  I assume that during this "quiet time"
they've been sitting on their nest.

Tracey Everson
Chattanooga, TN
Hamilton Co.