[TN-Bird] BTBW, etc - Knox

  • From: sparverius@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 18:56:32 +0000 (UTC)

Few recent notes from Knox Co...

Black-throated Blue Warbler, 1 nice northern male in the yard on 8 Oct, only
5th occurrence in the yard and first in a few years

Chimney Swifts are still staging at the Ball Camp Elementary chimney in
moderate numbers (~50 seen on Monday evening).

On Tuesday, I had a neat Starling observation. I had an errand to run before
work that morning at a stop off of Cedar Bluff. A flock of about 30-40
Starlings were feeding in a grassy spot and perching on utility lines. One of
the Starlings touched two things on the utility pole that it shouldn't have and
immediately fell to the ground like a rock. The other Starlings gave the dead
bird a wide birth but immediately gathered around it chattering as if trying to
figure out what happened and 'wake it up'. Not necessarily an unusual behavior,
but neat to see.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN