[TN-Bird] Avocets at Shelby Farms

  • From: Virginia Reynolds <treynold@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:52:28 -0500

Received a call saying there were two White Pelicans at Meander Lake.
Unfortunately there were no pelicans, but there were 10 American
Avocets feeding in the round pond. While waiting to see if anyone
would show up, I spotted a Lincoln Sparrow among the several Song
Sparrows in the nearby brush. Went over to Patriot Lake to see if the
pelicans might have moved over there, but no luck. There were 56
Ruddy Ducks, 40+ Coots, 6 Tree Swallows and 4 Great Egrets.
As I walked back from the round pond, there were two idiots shooting
arrows in my direction at a styrofoam deer. I had visions of my
stuffed head ending up mounted over someone's fireplace. Who said
birdwatching isn't dangerous and exciting? (Needless to say this
activity is not permitted at Shelby Farms.) Also I didn't say
anything, but got out of there in a hurry.
Virginia Reynolds
Memphis
Shelby County

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES