[TN-Bird] Another(?) red-breasted nuthatch

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:44:31 EST

Greetings and Happy Thanksgiving TN-birders from my home here in the
Charlotte Park section of West Nashville, Davidson County, just a few blocks
east of
the old Cleece's Ferry landing which is on the Cumberland River.
At approximately 7:30 this morning, I arrived back at home from an EARLY
morning shopping spree.  As I started to unlock the downstairs door while laden
with heavy packages of cleaning supplies, I heard the familiar sound of a
red-breasted nuthatch.  As happens quite often with them, it sounded REALLY
close as
if in the nearest tree which is a dead ash.  I searched the ash then looked
back a little farther and saw it climbing up a pine tree.  I didn't tarry long
after making sure it was a red-breasted as my packages were heavy, and my back
was breaking.  By the time I unloaded in the basement and got upstairs
unladen to look, it was no longer there to be seen or heard.  Gosh, I'm just
hoping
and praying that it (they) will hang around for Christmas count.  I am right
on the very edge just inside the count circle.

Ooops, I THINK I failed to mention the sapsucker that was lurking near the
bottom of the holly tree outside my bedroom window at about 7:50 on Sunday
morning  when I let the shade up to allow the outside to creep inside.  He
fiddled
around down there, then flew to my water maple tree in the front yard and
seemingly started sucking some sap from it.

Everyone have a fine Thanksgiving.  I plan to spend much of the day at my
usual Thursday volunteer duty at the St. Thomas Emergency Room.

Happy birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN