[TN-Bird] American White Pelican - Murfreesboro

  • From: "Chloe Walker" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "chloebelle119@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 17:59:14 -0700

10-8-14
Murfreesboro, TN (Rutherford co.)

The last words I said to my mom before Nolan and I went into our yard to do a
little birding were, "Bye, Mom. We're going out to look for rare birds." This
was a joke, but...

While standing in the small mowed field behind our house, a very large, white
bird with black wing tips caught my eye. Three names went through my head in
1/2 second - even before I raised my binoculars: Herring Gull, Snow Goose, or
American White Pelican (so similar, right?!) With my bins, I saw it so clearly
- a pelican! I told Nolan, and of course, you can envision two bird-crazy kids
sprinting inside to share the news of our awesome new yard bird with Mom.

Well, being the lister that I am, I figured the bird would pass somewhere
within view of my bedroom. (Hmm...maybe I could add it to my "bedroom species
list"...???) So I ran upstairs, opened my window, and asked Nolan if he had
seen it again. He pointed in the direction he had last seen the bird, and there
it was! Even though the second view was only a distant, soaring white
silhouette, yeah, I'm counting it anyway.  :)

The pelican was alone and was last seen flying directly South or Southeast at
around 4:45 PM. Anyway, it was pretty awesome!

Chloe Walker
Murfreesboro, TN
http://www.chloesbirdingblog.blogspot.com/