[TN-Bird] American Tree Sparrows, Davidson and Sumner counties

  • From: oeserscave@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 19:11:04 -0500 (EST)

3-4-14
Shelby bottoms nature center, Davidson county, 5:20-5:30 pm, 2 American Tree Sparrows, 1 Fox Sparrow

Yesterday on the way home from work my wife informed me she and my son wanted to go to Opry Mills Mall for a lego event, so I quickly made a plan (having seen Ed S's post and photo earlier in the day), dropping them at the mall, then hitting Briley and driving around the river to Shelby bottoms in about 15 minutes. I first searched the baseball fields, covered in Robins, a few Killdeer, and Mourning Doves. I then walked the greenway along the river to the first bridge, backtracked and walked past the nature center to the kid's play area, sign, and intersection to the parking lot. At first all I could find were 20 or more White-Throated Sparrows, then a little farther in the grass 2 American Tree Sparrows, my first for Davidson county. I eventually saw 6 along the edge of the shrubs and grass, and one Fox Sparrow in the same area, then made it back to the mall to pick up the family in just over an hour.

3-5-14  Hendersonville, Sumner county   1 American Tree Sparrow

Getting home today at 5 pm, I decided to take advantage of the overcast lighting and searched the large field behind our house, between Chesire Place, Waterford Way, and Vietnam Veterans Parkway for at least one of these recently not uncommon visitors. After about 10 minutes, I found one, my first for Sumner county, in a small tree near the fence at the border below Vietnam Vets Pkwy. Several other sparrows were in the large field, but all I could find in the waning light were Savannah Sparrows, White-Throated Sparrows, and a Field Sparrow.

Ken Oeser
Hendersonville, TN

              Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                       Clemson, SC