[TN-Bird] Allen's hummingbird plus Rufous hummers in ET

  • From: woodthrush <woodthrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:19:09 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks
On November 19 I banded a young male Allen's hummingbird at a home near
Russellville, Hamblen Co.  I was pretty sure of the ID but sent my measurements
and photo documentation to Bob Sargent in Clay, AL who confirmed the ID and
age.  The hummer hosts are Wally and Jane Manspeaker and their phone is
423-581-1039.  The bird is still coming and they are willing to let folks see
the bird but please call for directions and to let them know you would like to
come.  It has been a banner year for wintering hummingbirds this year.  In the
eastern TN area I cover I have banded 5 Rufous hummingbirds, the Allen's, a
late
Ruby-throat and I had a return Rufous that I banded last year.  The Rufous that
I've banded have been in Johnson City, south Knoxville, and 3 in Telllico
Village, Loudon Co.  The late Ruby-throat was in Monterrey, Putnam Co. but it
has quit coming to the feeder.  The return bird is in Oak Ridge, Anderson Co.
My winter hummer season usually starts around Thanksgiving so it has been an
early start and I'm sure more will come.  I'm not the only one seeing a lot of
hummingbirds other banders the eastern US are getting record numbers of Rufous
as well as Calliope, Broad-tailed, Allen's and Anna's.  If anyone has thought
about leaving a feeder out this would be the year to try it.

Mark Armstrong
Seymour, Sevier Co.
865-748-2224