[TN-Bird] Accipiter Movement?

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:08:49 EST

Oct. 30, 2002
Memphis TN

Just wondering if anyone noticed a movement of accipiters on Thursday. While
driving around the area I recorded an unusual number. At first in Bartlett I
saw 2 Cooper's traveling together, both being the same sized immature birds.
They were circling about 100 feet above tree top level and drifted together
to the west.

Later on a pass through Shelby Farms, I encountered 2 Cooper's, one in an
area that I've had a bird for at least a month and another about a mile away.
At the senior garden area I had a Sharp-shinned being harassed by a resident
female Kestrel. In midtown I watched 2 Sharp-shinned at different locations
traveling south. Late in the afternoon I had another Cooper's traveling south
off the north expressway.

A total of 8 in a day to me indicates they have recently moved into the area
or were moving through. Any other increases or flights noted by others in the
past few days?

Also an adult, dark morph Red-tailed has moved back into the same area it
hung around in last year at Shelby Farms. This was my first in the area this
year. An adult Krider's was seen there last week.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.