[TN-Bird] Re: About that April Ivory-bill posting

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: robt123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:28:23 EDT

I know these sites are not a democracy, but is there anyway to gauge the
opinion of both active posters as well as those who simply read the posts and
decide what we want?

If we want no "real world" intrusion such as politics, that needs to be clear
and the moderator will just have to not forward posts that broach such
topics. It's beginning to look very random which "political" posts get through
and
which do not.

Unfortunately, again in my opinion only, politics is becoming more important
to birders and birding. If you're not willing to fight for something, you
might just lose it.

If we can't discuss political issues facing our pastime here, where else
should it be discussed?

I'll use an example. In my opinion the recent Chesapeake Bay Bridge
"compromise" set a deplorable precedent. I've never birded from any of the
affected
islands, and now I never intend to do so. Again, in my opinion, politics not
security drove the effort to limit access. Thorough security searches and
background checks should have been enough. But $50 an hour for a law
enforcement
officer to follow birders around? That's ridiculous and where the bad precedent
comes in. The local economy is helped enough when birders spend cash for the
opportunity to bird there. The $50 "tax" is an insult to people who are helping
the economy.   It's already been defined by both sides of the political
spectrum
that terrorism wins when it causes us to change our lifestyle. Well, guess
what we have been doing?

There are lots of political issues out there that affect birds and birding,
including perhaps the Endangered Species Act. This forum could help share views
on such issues.

And, if subscribers don't like a certain message, do what I do. Hit DELETE.

I guess, basically, I just feel we need a decision. Agree to see both sides
of an issue by accepting ALL posts or set firm restrictions and stop any posts
that deviate from reporting bird sightings or birding events.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN