[TN-Bird] A Possible Ruff at Duck River (Humphreys County)

  • From: "Jud Johnston" <rivendell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 10:45:16 -0500

While cruising the Blue Goose drive yesterday at the Duck River Unit, mainly
trying out a new window mount scope, I found a small group of lesser yellowlegs
and pectorals in one of the pools about halfway along.  I was on a paved
portion of the road.  The birds were maybe 200 yards back, and I eventually got
out my 82mm scope for a better look.

The ID of one of the birds troubled me.  The head and neck seemed whiter than
the yellowlegs, with more contrast with the wings/back.  It also looked
bulkier.  This bird was preening while the 'legs foraged.  While I was looking
through the scope, it flew away from me, and I noted the tail feathers looked
black along the center line, a width of maybe an inch to an inch and a half.  I
knew that wasn't right for yellowlegs, and checked the field guides later last
night.  The closest match was ruff.

I've never seen a ruff, and I'm not counting this bird as one on my personal
list; but I think there's a good possibility that this bird is a ruff, probably
the white-necked variant.

good birding,

Jud Johnston
Waynesboro