[TN-Bird] 9 species of sparrows - Bells Bend Park (Davidson Co.)

  • From: Tony Lance <tonylance@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 16:52:58 -0500

Susan Hollyday, Mary Zimmerman, and Clay Collins joined me this
morning for a surprisingly productive walk at Bells Bend that lasted
until afternoon. The gray skies, chilly winds and seemingly shy birds
made for very challenging birding but we persisted. Perhaps the
highlight of the day was the Fox Sparrows, one of nine species of
sparrows tallied. Once we realized they were singing (and recognized
the song) we found them all over the place and we estimate we had at
least 40.  I've never had numbers for that species anywhere near that
before. Song Sparrows and Field Sparrows were well represented also.
Our lone Vesper Sparrow, seen shortly after a Savannah Sparrow
practically posed for us, was another good find.

American Robins were especially numerous and continued to arrive in
sizable flocks throughout the morning. They were gathering in the
trees alongside the river; we could hear them from quite a distance
away. Other good sightings were Orange-crowned Warbler, Northern
Harrier and Bald Eagle. The complete list follows:

Northern Bobwhite - 1
Great Blue Heron - 3
Black Vulture - 6
Turkey Vulture - 1
Bald Eagle - 1
Northern Harrier - 1
Red-tailed Hawk - 2
American Kestrel - 1
Mourning Dove - 3
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1
Downy Woodpecker - 3
Hairy Woodpecker - 1
Northern Flicker - 1
Blue Jay - 5
American Crow - 15
Carolina Chickadee - 5
Tufted Titmouse - 2
Carolina Wren - 5
Sedge Wren - probable; heard but not seen.
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 4
Eastern Bluebird - 16
Hermit Thrush - 1
American Robin - 500+