[TN-Bird] 74 Species today

  • From: Birdglass44@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:06:52 EDT

Jean Alexander and I birded 8:45am - 1:15pm in the Tellico and Choto Wildlife
Management Areas east of Vonore.  Highlights were Jean's first Tennessee
sighting of a Merlin (I got a hug for showing it to her!) single Lesser and
Greater yellowlegs, 6 Pectoral sandpipers, great views of a Black-throated
green
warbler and Yellow-throated vireo, in addition to hearing other B-T greens,
Pine,
Common yellowthroat.  Also saw loads of Yellow-rumped warblers feeding in the
flowering trees.  We also had numerous Blue-gray gnatcatchers in both areas.
We had great numbers of  White-throated, Vesper and Savannah sparrows along
with some Swamp sparrows in the fields going into Choto WMA.  No Purple martins
but did get Tree, Rough-winged and Cliff swallows.  Heard and saw House wrens
in Choto that were newly arrived since Jean's visit there last Friday.  On
the lake we had 8 different common loons, some Ring-billed gulls and a lone
Bonaparte's gull.  We had 2 osprey and one immature Bald eagle.
It was my first time birding these areas and am looking forward to it again
next week.  We are going for 100 species then!

Warren Bielenberg
2127 Spalding Drive
Maryville, TN