[TN-Bird] 3 Crane Day at Hiawassee

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-birds <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:31:08 -0800 (PST)

Thanks to Charles Murray for staking out the Hooded Crane.  It was nice to see
some young birders out there this morning.  I birded with several grad students
from UT and a very sharp 11 year old girl and her younger brother from
Murfreesboro, who were off to chase a Tundra Swan.  In addition to the many
Sandhill Cranes and the Hooded Crane, 2 immature and 3 adult Whooping Cranes
were on the refuge.  Can't be too many occasions when 3 crane species were
present in North America in one place outside captivity.  I visited a small
town in South Africa last year (Memel) that had 3 species of crane.  Hope the
hooded shows back up in the morning.  Several photographers took some nice
images of the Hooded Crane, but I haven't seen any posted(?).  Maybe I missed
them.  A few digiscoped photos are at the link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkirschke/

David Kirschke
Johnson City, TN