[TN-Bird] 13 Warbler species/Ceruleans/Golden-winged Warbler/Grouse etc.

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:59:37 -0400

       Early yesterday morning ,    4-16-03  I birded up to Cross Mt.
(Caryville Mt) in Campbell County , TN .  I usually bird on the way up
the 5-6 mile stretch, but disciplined myself to not stop at all until I
got about half-way to the top, where I had an  excellent close up view of
a RUFFED GROUSE, my first visual contact with one in Tennessee, despite
hours of birding this area!
I was able to approach this bird within 10 ft. before she "blew up" and
away.

(First Spring arrivals for me in this area are in capital letters)
I stepped out and my first bird was a GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER, and then I
also heard a CERULEAN.  1 CHESTNUT-SIDED was also in the same area, as
well as Hooded, Black and White, Black-throated Green , AMERICAN
REDSTART, OVENBIRD and a single WORM-EATING WARBLER.
     A count along the entire road showed me there was a good movement
the night before. Totals were -14 Warbler Species for the morning, with
the last 4 being at Cove Lake after coming down from the mountain :
  6- Ceruleans,      2 -Golden-winged,     3 -Ovenbird,      8 -Am.
Redstarts,
8- Black and White Warbler,     1 -Worm-eating,       10 -Black Th. Green
11- Hooded,      2 -Yellow-rumped         1-Chestnut-sided
-Cove- 1-  Yellow-throated,      1-    COMMON YELLOWTHROAT,
1-  NORTHERN PARULA  AND 1  -  SWAINSON'S singing away.

Nell Moore
Caryville, Tn
Campbell County