[tlug] Re: Linux Usage/Loose meeting Schedule

  • From: Brandon Blackwell <brb023@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 04:03:08 -0500

I came up with a similar idea last year it just never got off the ground because of lack of participation. The idea was to have multiple people show how they use linux on a day to day basis excluding basic things like using firefox that everyone already knows how to do.

As far as what you could use in place of another program I covered that in my alternatives to proprietary software presentation which I will be giving again this year. It did not go into specific tasks though in a single program like saying here is how you make fractals in photoshop and here is how you make them in the gimp. And to be honest I haven't used anything but open source software in so long the only thing I could compare would be microsoft office vs. open office where the differences are minimal. But if someone else thinks they can put something together like that it would be interesting.

And speaking of the gimp it was on our presentation list last year but was never gotten around to in case anyone wants to pick that up this year.

Brandon Blackwell
TLUG President

awe008@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I saw a talk once where someone demonstrated stuff in photoshop and someone else did the same thing in gimp. I would like to expand on this a bit and have people ask or show how they do things on their mac/windows box and a panel shows how this is done with linux/oss. We could do this for a few minutes at the end of each meeting if people are interested, if there are no questions we could just show us using linux for a few minutes, explaining how to accomplish specific tasks.

Andrew

Quoting Brandon Russel Blackwell <brb023@xxxxxxxxxx>:

It would just be up to the person to actually take it upon themselves. No need to track them and hark them if they do end up using windows or mac. I don't expect everyone to even attempt to do it though it would be nice. And there are those of us like me that have met the challenge twenty fold or more so it would be a bit senseless to keep up with us.

Brandon Blackwell
TLUG President

Quoting Ted Winback <astraz123@xxxxxxxxx>:

the challenge sounds like a good idea but how would we keep track of it?