[tinwhiskers] Re: Toyota workers raised safety concerns with bosses in 2006 memo

  • From: Rod <rod.dalitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:34:05 +0000
On 9 Mar 2010, at 10:34, Bob Landman wrote:

>> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota-canaries8-2010mar08,0,1192458.story?page=1&utm_medium=feed&track=rss&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20MostEmailed%20%28L.A.%20Times%20-%20Most%20E-mailed%20Stories%29&utm_source=feedburner

Particularly little to do with tinwhiskers I think! more like media finding a
bandwagon. I am sure you will find incidents like this in any company, "I told
you so."

What really interests me is the drift into practices which may become dangerous
from an unanticipated angle. The continuous development of engine controls
(which is no doubt only one example) does not lead to clearcut decision points,
at which someone should have held a review and considered a wider picture.

That is a little more like the situation with banning lead, where - as I see it
- some group has made a global decision without actually being in a position to
solve the resulting issues, "never mind the details - we are sure the engineers
will solve them once them see the incentive."

That is a drift, because there are clear cases where lead is bad, as in paint
and gasoline, and the dividing line between significant and workable bans and
"the law of unintended consequences" is hard to see.

regards,   Rod

rod.dalitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx