[tinwhiskers] Re: Plating thickness and whisker growth

  • From: "Fritz, Dennis D." <DENNIS.D.FRITZ@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 16:50:46 -0400

Lynn,

Please see IPC standard 4554 on fabrication of boards using Immersion Tin.  I
see in my draft copies of this standard during development, there was
significant discussion of possible, but limited whiskers with immersion tin.
Some of that did not make the approved version, but Appendix 6 of 4554 calls
out the wording from IPC/JEDEC 002 on mitigation for your reference.

Anyway, IPC 4554 is the process document your supplier of boards should be
following. Immersion tin suppliers should be able to provide documentation on
the growth of whiskers when their product is run properly in a fab shop.

I am presuming your immersion tin is on the board, not on the press fit
connector.

Dennis Fritz
SAIC, Inc.