[tinwhiskers] Re: [LF] Revisiting the Toxic Substances Control Act of 1976: H.R. 2420

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Leadfree@xxxxxxx>, "tin whiskers forum" <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 09:34:01 -0400

Thanks Marcus, much appreciate your kind comments.

I know of Michael Sampson as two of my friends (Dr. Henning Leidecker and Jay
Brusse are his colleagues).  I've been to Goddard Space Flight Center and was
presented with my very own samples of tin whiskers (from Space Shuttle
Endeavor's Honeywell card guides) and zinc whiskers from the underside of a
raised computer flooring tile.  I show and tell them to whomever doesn't
believe they exist.

I've added Michael's excellent PPT presentation to my website
(http://www.hlinstruments.com/RoHS_articles).

Don't forget NASA's website which Jay Brusse maintains
http://nepp.nasa.gov/WHISKER/

And this incredible bibliography maintained by John Barnes
http://www.dbicorporation.com/rohswant.htm

Also added to my wesbite are two more articles that Michael Kirschner just
shared with me.

1. Dr. Julie Schoenung of UC Davis did both an AHP (analytic hierarchical
process) and monte carlo comparison of the results of the EPA's lifecycle
assessment of SnPb vs. SAC and a couple other solder alloys and found no
discernable environmental performance improvement (see slides 28-31 or so of
http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/HazardousWaste/upload/Schoenung_LCA_green_electronics.pdf)

2. About 18 months ago we, along with Technology Forecasters, did a survey to
quantify the cost of EU RoHS to the electronics industry. We determined that it
cost about $32.7B, plus about 11% of that per year for maintenance, for the
industry to comply (that's not all capital or expense expenditure; much is
human resources). I have attached the respondent summary, which you're free to
post.

He said "Putting the two together, we have spent billions and billions of $ and
lots of R&D time for zero environmental improvement (I would wager that the
majority of the $32.7B spent was to deal with the lead solder change; the other
five substances and other uses of lead would probably amount to under 50% of
the total, but that's just a guess - we didn't collect any data on that),
while, as many of your papers point out, increasing reliability risks."

Michael introduced me to Mark A. Kohorst, Senior Manager - Environment, Health
& Safety at NEMA whom I called on Friday.  Here is what I learned from Mark...

He concurred that NEMA drafted the bill for Representative Burgess.  He told me
the intent of the bill was to REDUCE the effect of RoHS here in the USA. That
in no way had NEMA intended to slight the aerospace/mil/high rel medical device
industries by not mentioning them.

He told me they looked at the RoHS law and he says they expanded the exemptions
in that law.

[As you know, in the RoHS law are exemptions for high reliabilty aerospace,
telecom, military hardware, implantable medical devices and many more products
(like railroad signals) and here's a cute one, why there's even an exemption
for Swatch watches (as they fail when soldered with lead free solder - aww).]

It is clear to me that we and NEMA want the same things; thus collectively we
here have to find a way to fix the bill.

Mark was surprised that we read the bill as effecting a ban on the use of
tin-lead solder in our industries by not being specifically mentioned as having
exclusions.  He told me that the lobbist for the IPC
(http://www.ipc.org/default.aspx  - the Association Connecting Electronics
Industries), Fran Abrams, had been in communications with NEMA and that IPC had
no problem with a bill being put forth.  However he did say that IPC had not
seen the bill yet and might be the next phone call he receives now that the
bill is public.  Mark said my call was the first to bring this concern to his
attention.

Has anyone here hear of IPC's position on the bill?  Is Fran Abrams on this
list?  We would appreciate her comments.

Mark said NEMA would look at (and hopefully take) language that we wanted
inserted into the bill to protect our industries.  There will be a companion
bill introduced in the Senate (I forgot to ask him who would introduce it).  If
it will be as he says, protection for industries like ours who need to use
tin-lead solder then that is exactly the intent of the bill.

There will be a hearing so finally the public will, we hope, get to know about
the problems with tin whiskers.  RoHS is a trade barrier masquerading under
another name, IMHO.

Regards,

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments, LLC