[tinwhiskers] Re: [LF] A Change in Paradigm: Maximum Whisker Length Just Got Longer

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'\(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum\)'" <Leadfree@xxxxxxx>, <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 15:49:53 -0500

And there's even more.

There's a lawsuit in Michigan.  A 77 yr old lady driving a 2005 Camry (that is
not part of the recall) died in 2008 when her car suddenly accelerated to 80
mph, leap into the air and hit a tree.  The story is in the NY Times and it's
very detailed.  Apparently Toyota and the NHTSA agreed not to count as failures
any vehicles that suddenly accelerated if the brake had been applied.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/05/business/05recall.html?th&emc=th

I had a similar problem years ago in our 1990 Merc Sable.  Had to have a
diagnostic recorder attached to the car and then we drove it for many days
pushing a button when the car suddenly accelerated then taking it to the dealer
to have the record downloaded for analysis.  The dealer finally traced the
problem to a bad throttle position sensor. Replaced it and it happened again.
It took THREE replacements before they got us a replacement that did not cause
sudden acceleration.  We nicknamed the car "killer". Not so funny now.

Fortunately for us, if we pressed hard on the brake (caught it quick enough) we
could stop the car.  We'd be driving along and all of a sudden you'd hear the
engine roar.  The first time it did it, I was so surprised I didn't know what
to do and then slammed on the brakes.  Good thing we wear seatbelts!

This issue with Toyota more and more smells of a coverup.

Bob