<TW>Weekend of 22 and 23 September 2007

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thisweekend@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:04:13 -0500 (CDT)

..=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.
     from Father Pat Umberger

E Y E    A P P O I N T E M E N T    I N    B O S T O N

As many of you know, I have been in Boston to have the melanoma (12 years
ago) in my right eye checked.  The pressure in the eye was high, due to
bleeding within the eye.  I had surgery last Tuesday to clean out the
blood, gel, etc. ... to laser treat lots of veins and to medicate the eye
to stop the formation of more veins.  I had to stay in Boston for an extra
week.

I just had another appointment with Dr. Kim.  The pressure is still high
in the eye that had surgery. because bleeding from the tumor continued.
She gave me two more eyedrops ... making 5.  She says she's pretty sure it
will settle down.  She also ordered more ultrasounds and read them.  She
says the tumor itself is causing no concern. She gave me the name of a
doctor in Rochester to see in two or three weeks.  She wants to see me
again in 3-6 months.  Looking forward to coming home tomorrow!

J O I N    S I S T E R    J O S E L D A    A N D    M E

A great Pilgrimage to the Holy Land - 04-15 November 2007!
Several seats remain.

Land only price (meet us in the Holy Land) is $1926.

..=:  V O L U M E   2 0 0 7 , Number 09-23 :=.

..=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

Twenty-Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C.
Weekend of 22 and 23 September 2007

Follow this link for this weekend's Scriptures:

   www.nccbuscc.org/nab/

..=:  R E F L E C T I O N   Q U E S T I O N S  :=.

"We will diminish the ephah, add to the shekel, and fix our scales for
cheating! We will buy the lowly for silver, and the poor for a pair of
sandals; even the refuse of the wheat we will sell!? When have we been
tempted to be dishonest in order to benefit ourselves?  What could make
someone take advantage of the poor for their own enrichment?

"Praise the Lord who lifts up the poor."  How can we help the Lord to lift
up the poor?  Why don't we do more in that regard?

"It is my wish, then, that in every place the men should pray, lifting up
holy hands, without anger or argument."  If we truly had holy hands, how
would our lives change?  What causes most of our anger and arguments?  How
can we keep them in perspective in our lives?

"If you are not trustworthy with what belongs to another, who will give
you what is yours?" When are we tempted to rationalize our own dishonesty?
 How can we again trust those who have been dishonest with us?  How can we
regain the trust of others? When we are dishonest, who does it help?  Who
does it hurt?

How are these readings challenging?  Comforting?

(c)MMVII Fr. Pat Umberger.  These Reflection Questions are found each week
at the Web Site www.frpat.com. Feel free to link to this page or reproduce
them for parish use as long as this credit remains.

..=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

When I was a teacher I was also a Scoutmaster.  I recall that as a Boy
Scout the first of the twelve parts of the Scout Law  is: "A Scout is
Trustworthy."  How important it is to be worthy of the trust of others.

Many of us have grown up with parents who told us, "Whatever you do, don't
lie to me."  "If you lie, I'll have an awfully hard time believing what
you say."  How true it is, that when others are not trustworthy that it
can take along time before that trust can be restored.

Of course none of us are perfect.  We make mistakes.  We ask forveness as
we forgive others.  Still, it is so very important to be trustworthy.  We
can shrug off our sin by saying, "It was only a little white lie."  The
fact is, it's a lie!  Even calling our children or ourselves in sick when
there is something we'd rather do is lying.  Even having our husband or
wife telling someone on the phone that we're not home when we really are
is a lie.

In today's Gospel Jesus reminds us of what good stewardship is all about.
We are to use the gifts and talents God has given us to build up the
Church and to usher in the Kingdom of God in the world we live in.

In today's first reading we hear about the curelty of the treacherous
people who can't wait for the chance to "buy the lowly for silver, and the
poor for a pair of sandals."  Ye it can be easy for us to fall to surch
ruthlessness when we don not consciously love and serve our Lord Jesus
Christ "who gave himself as a ransom for all."  Even the merchants who
"fixed their scales for cheating" probably felt guilt at first.  But
afterwhile our dishonesty can become routine.  We can lie or cheat without
even thinking about it.

But as Jesus says, "The person who is dishonest in very smal matters is
also dishonest in great ones."  And our example of dishonesty is easily
passed on to our children, grandchildren, brothers and sisters. This can
be the week to think about things like that and strive to live honestly.

This week we can reflect upon our honesty at work, in school and in our
personal relationships.  We can turn from our dishonesty and back the Lord
with all our hearts.  We can make amends for the hurts we have caused
others.  We can live our lives according to our calling.  Have a good
week!

(c)MMVII Fr. Pat Umberger.  This Spiritual Reflection is found each week at
the Web Site www.frpat.com. Feel free to link to this page or reproduce them
for parish use as long as this credit remains.

<TW>This Weekend is free, and comes from:
in Wisconsin U.S.A.
Web Site: www.frpat.com

      www.frpat.com/donation.htm

.=:  F O R W A R D I N G  :=.