<TW>Weekend of 16 and 17 August 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 11:57:48 -0500

.=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.
     from Father Pat Umberger

P I L G R I M A G E    2 0 0 8

Southern Italy, Assisi, Rome and the Vatican  -  10-22 November 2008

Assisi, Rome, the Vatican, Orvieto, Loreto, Lanciano,    Sorrento, Capri,
the Blue Grotto, Amalfi, Pompeii,    Montecassino, Mt St. Angelo, San
Giovanni Rotondo, the Wednesday audience with Pope Benedict XVI and more!

Departing from 3 Cities:  La Crosse, WI, Chicago (ORD) and New York (JFK)
At least 18 of the 26 seats we're holding from La Crosse have already been
taken.
Use the brochure ... on-line at www.frpat.com or pick up a brochure in
Church!

.=:  V O L U M E   2 0 0 8 , Number 08-17 :=.

.=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A.
Weekend of 16 and 17 August 2008

"Thus says the LORD: Observe what is right, do what is just; for my
salvation is about to come, my justice, about to be revealed.  I we would
consistently "observe what is right, do what is just," how would our lives
change?  How would our relationships with others change?

"I glory in my ministry in order to make my race jealous and thus save some
of them.  For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world, what
will their acceptance be but life from the dead?"

""Have pity on me, Lord, Son of David! My daughter is tormented by a demon."
Why would this request attract the attention of Jesus?  Of others who lived
around this woman?

He said in reply, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of
Israel."  Who are the people and groups that don't "belong" to the circle of
people we find "worthy" of friendship?

She said, "Please, Lord, for even the dogs eat the scraps that fall from the
table of their masters."  If we were to hear similar words from people we
look down upon, how would that touch us?  Would it move us beyond our own
personal prejudices, or would we simply force ourselves not to listen?

Then Jesus said to her in reply, "O woman, great is your faith! Let it be
done for you as you wish."  And the woman's daughter was healed from that
hour.  What does "great faith" look like?  Who do we know who exhibits this
trust in God consistently?  How can we cultivate this "great faith?"

How are these readings challenging?  Comforting?

.=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

"Woman, you have great faith! Your wish will come to pass." Jesus' response
is to a Canaanite woman requesting healing for her daughter. Jesus and his
disciples responded to her because of her persistence, and because they
couldn't ignore her faith. Sometimes it is harder to appreciate the faith of
those around us we see as different. We can come to believe that
churchgoers, the wealthy, the educated, the clean, the Polish, the German,
the Norwegians, the Irish, the "nice people" who look and act like us are
the ones most worthy of God's love and attention. Sometimes we need to look
a little deeper, as Jesus did with the Canaanite woman. When God looks at
us, he sees the goodness He has put into us. He stands ready to help us use
that goodness to do good, to help His Kingdom to grow by the gratitude we
show through sharing His gifts with others.

School starts soon. We might already be worrying about the things our kids
will be exposed to. We may have already pre-judged some of the kids in their
class. It's good for us to be wary of behavior that might rub of onto our
own children. Still, it's dangerous not to allow for the growth of their
friends. In helping them to avoid wrongdoing it can be better for us to
speak of wrong behaviors more strongly than the names of those we don't
like. In speaking of races and groups of people it can be better for us to
take a look at behaviors that are less than worthy, rather than groups or
races.

We too encounter many people in our dealings each week. There may be
newcomers to our city and area. We might work with those who come from
different cultural traditions. Some may even speak a different language. It
is easy for us to respond to those who seem different with fear and
suspicion. We can easily pass on that fear to our children and grandchildren
as well. We can do that through comments, jokes and stories. We can make
casual comments that we hardly notice. Yet they influence the opinion of a
whole new generation. We hope we'll all be together one day in heaven. God
has given us some time here on earth to get ready!

It is good for us to consider from time to time, the people we see as less
than ourselves. Then we need to remember God's love for them and His call
for us to reflect that love as well. This week we can spend some time
considering our oneness with all people God has made. We can examine our own
prejudices and the ways we pass them on to still another generation by what
we say or do, or the example we give. We can look first for the good in
those around us, especially when we are tempted to stop looking when we see
the flaws. We can suspend judgment on those closest to us, our sisters and
brothers, husbands and wives, friends and co-workers, simply loving them and
looking for the good that is there.

Jesus Himself looked past the Caananite woman. Through her persistence He
and His disciples came to see the faith and love that was in her. As she
begs Jesus for help, insisting, "even the dogs eat the leavings that fall
from their masters' tables," He replies, "Woman, you have great faith! Your
wish will come to pass." That very moment her daughter got better!

This week we can take another look at our own personal prejudices. Sometimes
we can trace them to our parents and grandparents. They can be reinforced by
news media and supported by the stories we listen to. We can take another
look at those around us and realize that we are all children of God, and
called to treat one another that way. Have a good week!

 (c)MMVIII Fr. Pat Umberger.  This Spiritual Reflection is found each week
at the Web Site www.frpat.com. Feel free to link to this page or reproduce
them for parish use as long as this credit remains.

<TW>This Weekend is free, and comes from:
in Wisconsin U.S.A.
Web Site: www.frpat.com

      www.frpat.com/donation.htm

.=:  F O R W A R D I N G  :=.

You can also set your account to Vacation Mode there.