<TW>Weekend of 04 and 05 April 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 16:24:54 -0500

 .=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.
     from Father Pat Umberger

L E N T    P A G E S
Visit my "Lent" page for lots of good information ....  a count-down 'til
Easter, Lenten Reconciliation (including a very portable "Credit Card to
Heaven" to take with you, an Examination of Conscience .... all you'll need
to go to Confession except the sins.  Visit our on-line Stations of the
Cross too, illustrated by the kids of Saint Pat's School.  Our Stations and
Reconciliation aids are available both in English and Spanish.  Follow the
link from: www.frpat.com

O N - L I N E    S T A T I O N S    O F    T H E     C R O S S
Visit my on-line Stations of the Cross.  I wrote the text for children and
adults alike.  The Stations were illustrated by the children of Saint Pat's
School. They're available in English and Spanish as well. Visit the Stations
every day during Lent.  I think you'll like them a great deal.
Here's the link: www.frpat.com/stations.htm

.=:  V O L U M E   2 0 0 9 , Number 04-05 :=.

.=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

Passion (Palm) Sunday, Year B.
Weekend of 04 and 05 April 2009

Many people spread their cloaks on the road, and others spread leafy
branches that they had cut from the fields. Those preceding him as well as
those following kept crying out: "Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the
name of the Lord! Blessed is the kingdom of our father David that is to
come! Hosanna in the highest!"  How would we welcome a heroic dignitary to a
city?  How do people welcome Pope John Paul II as he travels throughout the
world?  What could cause the tides to turn so quickly ... when shouts of
"Hosanna" turn to shouts of "Crucify him! Crucify him?"

"The Lord GOD has given me a well-trained tongue, that I might know how to
speak to the weary a word that will rouse them."  When do we use our
"well-trained tongue" to lift up and rouse the weary?  When is it used to
criticize, condemn and judge?

"I have not rebelled, have not turned back. I gave my back to those who beat
me, my cheeks to those who plucked my beard; my face I did not shield from
buffets and spitting."  What is our natural reaction when we are threatened
or hurt by others?  Why was Jesus so serene and non-violent in such
situations?  Is that the best way to be?  How can we follow the Lord's lead
in this regard?  Do we want to?

"The Lord GOD is my help, therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face
like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame."  Could this be a
prayer for us when others threaten or harm us?  Can we take a longer view
and know that in the end, we will not be put to shame?
Could that help convert even our persecutors?

" ... he humbled himself, becoming obedient to the point of death, even
death on a cross. Because of this, God greatly exalted him ... "
Are we willing to be this obedient?  What obedience on our part would lead
God to greatly exalt us?

"While they were eating, he took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and
gave it to them, and said, "Take it; this is my body." Then he took a cup,
gave thanks, and gave it to them, and they all drank from it. He said to
them, "This is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed for many. Amen,
I say to you, I shall not drink again the fruit of the vine until the day
when I drink it new in the kingdom of God." How did the Eucharist strengthen
Jesus' disciples to face what was to come?  How can it be our strength?  Can
anything truly harm us when we know that God is our strength and our
salvation?

Peter said to him, "Even though all should have their faith shaken, mine
will not be." Then Jesus said to him, "Amen, I say to you, this very night
before the cock crows twice you will deny me three times."
When have we denied the Lord?  Can we do this by the language we use?
The example we set?  When have we been of good will and determined to follow
the Lord ... then allowed ourselves to easily crumble and do wrong?
His betrayer had arranged a signal with them, saying, "The man I shall kiss
is the one; arrest him and lead him away securely." He came and immediately
went over to him and said, "Rabbi." And he kissed him. At this they laid
hands on him and arrested him.  When have we betrayed another in this way
... been nice to their face, but betrayed them behind their back?
How are these Scriptures comforting?  Challenging?
.=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

What a glorious day! A bare Sanctuary is filled with the fragrance and
beauty of flowers. The Church smells clean and fresh. In the background we
can hear the sound of trickling water. The "A" word is sung again. The year
has come full circle. We celebrate the most important thing we believe as
Christian people. Jesus has risen from the dead!

It took the people of Jesus day some time to realize what "to rise from the
dead" meant. We can only imagine their confusion when Jesus body was
missing. They may have imagined that it had been stolen. That would have
been even another insult and indignity. Just when their hearts had sunk to
the lowest point, they were faced with another possibility. Could he have
risen?

The joy of this day is a sure sign that this is exactly what happened. The
faith that was enkindled in the hearts of so many has survived, been passed
on and has grown over nearly 2000 years. This weekend thousands of people
all over the world will be Baptized, Confirmed and welcomed into full
Communion with the Church, including many from our own parish.  Our parish
family has already been enriched by those who were welcomed into the Church
and Confirmed on Easter.

Our Community welcomes them and the new energy and vitality they bring. It's
the same Community that drew them in, that provided an opportunity to
experience the Catholic Faith, that nurtured their developing faith. So it's
a celebration for all of us! It was impossible to crush the message Jesus
came to live. It was impossible for sin and darkness to win out over
goodness and light. It was impossible for death to conquer life. The message
of Easter is a message of God's triumph over all those things.

So we light a new fire, we bless water and sprinkle ourselves with it, we
renew our Baptismal Promises. We welcome new members and are strengthened by
their faith. And we glory in all that has happened. It takes a lifetime for
us to realize what happened that day more than 2,000 years ago. The
resurrection of Jesus colors every facet of our lives. We need to live it.
We need to pass it on to more people every day of our lives.

So we take the message to the streets. We live as people filled with hope.
We share that hope with those around us. We work tirelessly against
selfishness, evil, sin, darkness and death knowing that the power of the
resurrection is infinitely stronger. That power grows stronger still as we
share it and strengthen the faith of others. It was impossible to extinguish
the message. Jesus lives. Jesus lives in us. Christ is risen! ALLELUIA!"

(c)MMIX Fr. Pat Umberger.  This Spiritual Reflection is found each week at
the Web Site www.frpat.com. Feel free to link to this page or reproduce them
for parish use as long as this credit remains.

<TW>This Weekend is free, and comes from:
in Wisconsin U.S.A.
Web Site: www.frpat.com

      www.frpat.com/donation.htm

.=:  F O R W A R D I N G  :=.

You can also set your account to Vacation Mode there.