[thinnews] RTO Software's TScale* 3.0 adds Application Shaping and significant new Application Optimization Functionality

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, thinnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:26:36 -0400

RTO Software's TScale* 3.0 adds Application Shaping and significant new
Application Optimization Functionality

Application Shaping provides for automated control of "rogue" applications

For immediate release

SUWANEE, GA.- October 6, 2003 - RTO Software today announced TScale* 3.0 and
the Performance Management Console (PMC) 3.0.  The latest improvements to
TScale combine Application Optimization with Application Shaping(tm) in a
single solution to help companies using Citrix® or Microsoft® terminal
services increase user satisfaction while also lowering IT costs.

TScale is the first and only product in the marketplace that combines
Application Optimization with Application Shaping in one easy to install and
easy to administer product. Applications Optimization improves the
performance of applications at times of heavy user or work load, increasing
server capacity and reducing end user complaints about slow response time
during busy periods of the day. Application Shaping stops rogue applications
from using more than their fair share of CPU resources - radically improving
the user experience and freeing administrators from the time-consuming task
of manually addressing issues arising from these rogue applications.

"The combination of Optimization and Shaping into one product at an
attractive price is an example of our continuing commitment to give the
terminal server community great value in an easy to afford and easy to
implement package," said Bernd Harzog, CEO, RTO Software.

TScale's new Application Shaping gives system administrators of terminal
servers pinpoint control over application behavior, providing consistent,
reliable response time for key applications to enhance end-user
satisfaction.  TScale's flexibility allows administrators to implement
policies on a user and scheduled basis to automatically prevent instances of
rogue applications from running away with CPU resources and damaging end
user experience.

Application Shaping consists of two features that can be applied separately
or together to control rogue applications. Affinity allows an administrator
to specify which of the CPU's in a multi-CPU server an application should
run on, allowing the administrator to limit the damage of a badly behaved
application. Priority allows the administrator to direct the CPU to service
other applications running on that CPU before giving more resource to the
rogue application. Together these features can give an administrator much
greater control over application performance, markedly improving the
performance of the server.

"Our entire user population utilizes our Citrix servers to run a complete
line of business applications, some off-the-shelf, some custom written.
TScale 3.0 increases both the number of concurrent users that we can support
on our Citrix servers, and it prevents the impact of misbehaved programs
upon our end users' experience", said Jan Broucinek, System Manager at
Arthur Rutenberg Homes in Clearwater, Florida. "Prior to the addition of the
new Application Shaping features to TScale, we had several instances a day
of Word, Internet Explorer or Voloview running away with CPU's on our
servers. The Application Shaping features of TScale 3.0 give us an automated
system to prevent these occurrences from impacting our users' experience".

TScale 3.0 also includes a new optimization, Registry Compression. This
optimization reduces the amount of virtual memory used by the registry in
terminal server environments, making the freed up virtual memory available
to support more concurrent users. Registry Compression is an addition to the
existing set of three application optimizations in TScale, creating a robust
and unparalleled set of functionality.

TScale 3.0 will be demonstrated at the upcoming Citrix iForum 2003 show
October 13-15, in Orlando, Florida, and is scheduled to ship in November.

About RTO Software
RTO Software is pioneering a new category of performance management tools.
RTO's products are unique in that they continuously and automatically
analyze how applications use resources on servers, and then implement, on a
scheduled basis, optimizations unique to that server. RTO's first product,
TScale, continuously and automatically improves the performance of
applications running on Citrix and Microsoft terminal servers.