[THIN] Re: what goes down an ICA pipe??

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:05:01 -0000

And that being the reason, why in the main, X requires more bandwidth
(the "chatty" bit).

In order to do all the graphic stuff, a lot (relatively) instructions
get sent to the X server (which in the X architecture, is the display,
or effectively the workstation). Whereas in the ICA world, mucho
optimisation (including ignoring that which tends towards being
redundant) was done in order to very much reduce the amount of imagery
that needed transmitting in order to *give the impression* of the
current graphical situation.

The chattiness of X may not seem that intuitive, but as somebody who
played around writing X code (some years back) it does bear note.
However, in the earlier days of thin client, some vendors worked on
optimising this to be suitable for thin client / low bandwidth
implementations (Keoke was the name of the technology, and I think
Insignia was the vendor).

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.

know, in most cases, CPU Utilization IS NOT the single biggest constraint to
scaling up?! Get this free white paper to understand the real constraints &
how to overcome them. SAVE MONEY by scaling-up rather than buying more
servers. http://www.rtosoft.com/Enter.asp?ID=147