[THIN] Re: thin Digest V4 #189

  • From: Meinhard Niebuer <niebuer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:49:34 +0200

Hi Matthew,

if that is an MS-compliant answer, there should be a kind of definition of what a "kiosk" PC is. What functions is a kiosk PC allowed to have, which functions will make the PC a non-kiosk-PC ?

Is there anything one can refer to for that ?

Best regards,

Meinhard Niebuer
University- and State Library of Darmstadt, Germany

Msg: #1 in digest
Subject: [THIN] Re: My my my
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:24:50 -0400
From: "Matthew Shrewsbury" <MShrewsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I spoke to Microsoft about this kind of scenario and they said:
When accessing Office XP through TS you need an Office XP license for
each device, exceptions are second laptop, kiosk or single use PC.=20

When accessing from home you must have a license for Office XP at home
that is same version(XP), edition (Std), channel (open volume) as
installed on the server.

Senior Network Administrator
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 08:36:05 +1200
From: Greg Reese <gareese@xxxxxxxxx>

You could ask three different MS people and get three different
answers.  They aren't completely unreasonable though.  If you aren't
blatantly abusing the license, they aren't going to nail you to the
wall for it.  Don't buy 10 licenses and run 100 users.  Make a decent
effort to license your needs.

When I went through this, I sought the advice of my local reseller, a
Microsoft Platinum Level Partner (whatever the hell that means).  They
said it was ok to buy 100 licenses for my 100 users and we would be
safe.  They put it in writing.  If MS ever came after me about it, I
felt we were covered.  We were following the advice and purchasing
from their trusted agent so it was not our fault if it was screwed up.
Plus we, had made a resonable effort to be compliant and were not
trying to defraud anyone.

Greg

http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=296

********************************************************** Useful Thin Client Computing Links are available at: