[THIN] Re: not just PDF's spooling up much larger then actual file

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:22:58 -0700

Here's another one to add that causes bloat:  We run an ActiveX control
from Swiftview that is used to view PCL files.  The native file is 2.5K,
but when I go to print, the b&W printers generate a 500K file and PS Color
printers generate a 12.5 MB spool file.  Has something to do with raw data
streams and "raster printing to the windows driver".  (quote comes from
Swiftview tech support).  I use Tricerat and their tech support agrees.

adam

             "Steve Greenberg"
             <steveg@thinclien
             t.net>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             thin-bounce@freel                                          cc
             ists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [THIN] Re: PDF's spooling up much
             10/31/2005 08:39          larger then actual file
             PM

             Please respond to
             thin@xxxxxxxxxxxx

That is standard behavior and there is nothing inherently that can be done
to change it. This is the reason for third party print solutions that move
the spooling process to the client. So, if this is a real problem in your
environment you can investigate using client side printers with a redirect
print process such as the new UPD from Citrix or Simplify Printing from
Tricerat. However, the if the clients do not locally host the target
printers then you will be stuck with this situation!

Steve Greenberg
Thin Client Computing
34522 N. Scottsdale Rd. suite D8453
Scottsdale, AZ 85262