[THIN] Re: msiexec

  • From: "Webster" <Webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 14:24:41 -0600

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Webster
Subject: [THIN] msiexec

Does MSIEXEC on Server 2003 or Server 2008 automatically handle the "Change
User" stuff?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369521(VS.85).aspx says:

Windows Installer can perform per-machine installations without using
install mode. It is unnecessary to place the computer into install mode to
perform a per-machine installation. Windows Installer does not automatically
place the computer in install mode, regardless of the type of installation.
For more information about per-machine installations see the
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367559(VS.85).aspx> ALLUSERS
property.

It seems to be saying two things.

1.  Install mode is not necessary when using MSIEXEC

2.  MSIEXEC does not put the TS into install mode.

So I should be able to run an install using msiexec /I misfile.msi without
having to do change user /install first.

Webster