[THIN] Wyse WinTerm 1200LE: TimeZone and Daylight Saving Time

  • From: "Heikki Kokko" <heikki.kokko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:31:15 +0200

Observation:

If you have defined option "Time Offset" (002) on your DHCP Server,

your TimeZone (or at least options for daylight saving time) will be
ignored.

I spent several hours trying to figure out why the line

TimeZone='GMT + 01:00' daylight=yes start=030507 end=100507

in my wnos.ini (for Central European Time) didn't seem to affect the
daylight

saving time settings in our WinTerm Clients. The TimeZone itself was
correct.

Somehow it crossed my mind that long time earlier I had defined the

"Time Offset"  (option 002, UTC offset in seconds) on our DHCP server.

After I removed this setting, everything was just fine.

I didn't bother to try to figure out if there are any DHCP options for
daylight saving time.

If anybody knows of such, please reply, I could give it a try and see if
WinTerm is clever enough to use these too. Putting the values to DHCP server
would make them even more global than putting them just to the WinTerm
configuration file, in case some other systems use them too.

Anyway, overriding effect of DHCP server options on WinTerm 1200LE TimeZone
seems to be an undocumented feature, so I figured that it could be nice to
share this little piece of information, in case somebody else out there is
wondering why these settings just don't work.

Heikki Kokko