[THIN] Re: Win2k kernel memory config

  • From: "Brian Madden" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:49:03 -0500

Hi Brian,

So, for your first question I guess you're asking "How can the system keep
track of what's where in physical memory and the pagefile if the tracking
system itself could be paged to disk?"

haha.. Great question!

The PTE table is "technically" part of the non-paged pool, which means it
can never ever be paged to disk. This means that it's always stored in
physical memory. Since the ratio between the non paged pool, PTEs, and paged
pool is set at boot time, the "offset" location of the PTE table in the non
paged pool never changes.

As for the system PTE limit, the actual size of the PTE table is 660MB or
1.3GB. (Incredible, I know!) Such huge sizes are necessary to keep track of
what's where in multi-GB multi-user situations. And, all this comes out of
the "meager" 2GB kernel space. :-(

It's funny that it you add up the "maximum" sizes of the various kernel mode
memory components you get (for a win 2000) example:

4MB Hyperspace
470MB Paged pool (there are two of these pools for single proc systems and
four for multi procs)
660MB PTEs
256MB non paged pool
1024MB system cache

Quick math here... 2.8GB for single proc systems and 3.8GB for multi proc
systems. Of course all this must be crammed into 2GB!

Fun. It's like cutting a budget.

Brian

Brian Madden
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1.202.302.3657
Visit www.brianmadden.com for in-depth Citrix, Terminal Server, and
server-based computing news and analysis, white papers, downloadable videos,
and product reviews.