[THIN] Where are web page username/password kept? Cache/cookie

  • From: "Bruce Bodart" <rupert04@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "The Thin List" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:08:08 -0500

Hello all,

Need some insight on this issue, if it is one.

setup:
Win2k3 SP1 PS 4.5 farm
Useing IE 6
All Wyse 1125 or S10's
Published desktop, locked down with GPO
no folder redirection
Roaming profiles(not using flexprofile, will get to it someday), excluding
cookies folder from roaming profile.

I have some users asking me why they need to re-enter username and password
on web pages that they need to sign into, ei. personal bank website,
customer login page, personal email.

Now I've already gave them the speech that it's a good thing they have to
sign on everytime to their bank page and such. And I also stated that many
pages are like that, that it'll wipe out user info when they close the
browser etc.
But we do have some external customers that require our end users to sign
onto to get reports or download info. Some of these sites have a save
username/password check mark that they check to save info but when they log
out for the day the site doesn't retain info.

Is this info saved in a cookie or another file? since I don't have the
cookies folder roam with them is that part of the problem? Is there a simple
way I can retain this info for them and still not have the cookies folder
roam with them?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help

--
Bruce