[THIN] Re: Web-only thin client?

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 18:41:29 -0700 (PDT)

Boot a pc into and run the free VMWare Player browser appliance.  Or run
Thinstation... http://www.thinstation.org/
  JK

Ken Wallewein <.net> wrote:
  I have a site which could use a web-only thin client. Finding one is
proving harder than I expected. Any pointers?

Right now they have a bunch of remote PCs, and all they run is a custom web
app written for Internet Explorer. Doesn't make sense to run terminal
server for that.

I'm looking for:
o robustess -- resistance to crashing, viruses, corruption, etc.
o centralized management (updates, config, etc.) of the clients
o web client required, Internet Explorer-only preferred
o ability to print PDFs

I'de prefer a thin client device solution. PC-based would be OK, too, but
I'd prefer to avoid using PCs as pseudo-thin clients due to the hassle with
software updates and the higher rate of hardware failure. We could use
RIS, which would probably require every PC to be a domain member. Then we
need CALs, antivirus, patch management, etc. For a bunch of remote offices
that just need to run Internet Explorer, it's a lot of work and expense.

In the early days of thin client, Sun made a lot noise about "thin client"
as a web/java implementation, as opposed to any kind of remote desktop. I'm
surprised to see that seems to have disappeared.

Pointers and/or suggestions much appreciated!

/kenw

Jim Kenzig
CEO The Kenzig Group
http://www.kenzig.com